Friday, September 08, 2006

School is Cool!

After much fretting and second-guessing on my part (for several months now), Owen started preschool last week. We prepared for and rehearsed his first day of school MANY times over before it was actually showtime. We ordered a first day of preschool video, read lots of books about the first day of school (including one starring a pig named "Owen") and even did dry-runs...packing a lunch, driving to school and walking to his classroom. When the actual first day of school arrived, Owen was pretty well versed in what would happen at each turn.

When we arrived at school, he was ready to go. It seemed that all the preparation had paid off. He walked into the classroom, handed paperwork to his teacher and immediately began playing with the toys. All was good...UNTIL he realized I was actually leaving. Not good. "No mommy go bye-bye!" It was all I could do to keep from joining him in the sobfest. After several minutes, I was able to peel him off of me and get out the door without too much trauma for either of us. Once I hit the pavement outside, I was a wreck. I think I cried more than he did. However, after about 10 minutes, I sent in a spy who said he was no longer crying and seemed to be doing just fine. I went and grabbed breakfast with a girlfriend (whose daughter is in Owen's class) with the intention of returning in an hour or so to check on him. We ended up gabbing and happily distracting each other until almost lunch time. When we went back up to the school to peek in, both kids were as content as could be. When I picked him up, Owen was so excited to tell me about his day and wanted me to come in the classroom and read him a book before going home! No signs of permanent damage at all. He was so wiped out that he fell asleep in the car about 3 minutes away from the school.

Day 2 brought some tears at home when we were getting ready to leave for school, but once we were there, he was perfectly comfortable leaving mommy's arms to go to Ms. Joann (his new favorite person on earth). Since then, it has been pretty smooth sailing. He talks about school all the time and tells me all the things he does there and what he'll do next time he goes. We hear about Ms. Joann all day long. When he woke from his nap on Tuesday, the first words out of his groggy little face were "SO much fun at school!!" I'd say we are feeling pretty good about the transition at this point. If you want the complete play-by-play, feel free to call...while I'd be happy to talk your ear off about it, the desire to type it all out isn't quite so compelling.

More updates to come, I'm sure. In the meantime, here are some shots from his first day...





































And you had to know that there would be a small video too. Yes, the video was taken while I was driving. No, I did not compromise our safety to take it. Chill.

4 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Owen! Nick is very jealous! He can't wait to start school, too. Mommy is looking forward to it, as well ... breakfast with friends? She can't remember what that's like...
Love to you all!!!!

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to hearing all about school, Ms. JoAnn and I want to see the picture of the smoothie!! Was it as recognizable as the soil collection room?
Only a few more days and I can see and hug my little genius! Can't wait!!! Love, Gram

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sorry, that was a soil sample room! Don't want Aunt Chana's masterpiece called by the wrong name!!

 
At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful start you're off to, Owen! Mom, you're doing great, too! I know it's a big step for both of you. I, too, would love to see the picture of the smoothie -- that sounds COOL! Mostly, Owen, I can't wait to see YOU!! Love you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home