Tuesday, August 01, 2006

You could call him precocious

That's probably an appropriate adjective. All I know is that this child knows how to work it, how to lay it on thick. Just calling him a "ham" is an understatement. Take a recent example...

I was dressing Owen for our day, getting ready to run some errands. I finished putting on the last of his clothes and stepped back to take a look. He smiled at me, gave his very best Owen wink (which you can see HERE) and said "Oh! Cute shirt!" C'mon now, you've got to be kidding me.

Later that day, we had to stop by Junior League Headquarters. The women there know him well and were talking to him about his cool new shoes. When asked what he was doing there that day, his reply was "Owen walking." So, he got a few chuckles and "awwws" out of the lady at the front desk and we went on our way to the back of the building. We got around the corner, just out of eyesight but not earshot, and another woman had come to the front desk to ask if that was Owen she heard out there. Woman #1 said, "Did you hear him say 'Owen walking?' That was so cute!" Owen, overhearing this whole exchange, then busted out with "Cute walking away." Where does he get this stuff??

The time just after his bath every evening has become Owen's very own actor's workshop. It started a couple of weeks ago when I was drying him off and looked up to see the poutiest face in the mirror. He looked really upset, very sullen. Rob and I both immediately started asking him what was wrong and trying to determine what had happened to send him to such a dark place so quickly. He maintained the pout for about a minute before cracking a smile and letting his giggles fly. He had been playing us the whole time. It's now a nightly thing and we finally remembered to get it on tape. You can see the little bathtime thespian HERE.

And finally the one that threw us for a real loop...the one where we just CANNOT figure out the origin. Last week, we were riding in the car together, all 3 of us. We had been doing the usual clowning around with Owen...singing songs, making funny noises, calling him silly, etc. Rob had just been messing with him about something...I think he had been tickling him while at a stoplight and we had started to drive off. From the backseat, Owen calls out "You combicating me, Daddy." Huh? He said it a couple more times, quite clearly. "You combicating me, Daddy."
Several times since then, he's told me about something being "combicated" or "combicating." We have NO idea where this came from. I'm pretty convinced it must be in a video he's seen (doesn't Shrek say something about something being complicated?) but I don't know for sure.

One thing's for sure...this kid is most certainly "combicating" us! All we can do is hope to keep up.

2 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I don't know when I've laughed so hard! How 'bout Robin Williams, Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio rolled into one!
Plus a bit of Anthony Hopkins for dramatic effect! Just let a talent scout see him and you'd have no more need to think about financing his schooling! Yeah, I think you could safely call him precocious!

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger Julie Clark said...

we're on an owen kick around here lately - keep the videos coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home