Wednesday, September 14, 2005

One is fun!

Uh, sort of. For those asking what we did to celebrate Owen's big day, here's a rundown of yesterday's "festivities."

Early in the morning, Owen was in my lap facing me while we snuggled and I made up some silly song about how I'd cuddle him all day long since it was his birthday. He throws his head back in laughter and slams his open mouth into my forehead. We both scream in pain...it was a mighty big smack. I try to calm him while examining his mouth through the screams, just knowing there must be a split lip that needs mending. As I'm bent over checking for his wounds, I feel something wet dripping in my eye. Yep, I'm bleeding. Gashed by a toddler tooth. All the information I could locate on facial wounds seemed to indicate that any longer than .25 inches should be evaluated for stitches. Grrreat. I put Owen down for his nap and find a local doc who'll see me as a work-in patient. Once Owen was up and we had driven to the office, the wound had closed and I decided against going through with the appointment. In retrospect, I should have probably gone ahead...still bleeding a bit last night. SO, this was the start to our big day.

But, even a little bloodshed couldn't put a damper on the event. Owen still got to celebrate his day in the most appropriate fashion possible...playing in his birthday suit!



When Daddy got home from work, we all went around the corner to Chuck E Cheese and partied the night away! While it was actually a spur of the moment decision, it turned out to be a great one...Owen had a blast. He didn't let go of his balloon for the first 20-30 minutes we were there. Check this out...Lovin' my birthday balloon.


Completely enthralled by the mouse.
















Sharing dinner with mommy





Hanging out with Bob the Builder






Playing chauffeur to Chuck







Afterward, we came home and had the ceremonial birthday cupcake. Owen demolished the treat and perhaps even ate a few bites before collapsing for the night.















While we plan to officially celebrate on Sunday, with a real cake and party guests, we were happy to take the time to honor the moment as a family. The past year has been a wonderfully emotional rollercoaster ride...bloodshed and all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home