Thursday, September 22, 2005

Groveling for grandparents

Hold on to your hats, folks. I'm about to make a shocking admission...

I DO NOT HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER. Yes, go ahead and gasp. Since leaving my full-time job outside the house to accept a dusk-to-dawn job inside the house, I am less effective, less efficient and FAR less organized. There are many times that I'm not sure which day of the week it is. There are many more times than that when I couldn't tell you the date. So, it would stand to reason that keeping a calendar would be a good idea for me. And it is...it's a great idea. I keep the calendar very well...it's the maintaining, displaying and referencing of the calendar that has become a problem.

So, all of this is a preface to a public apology. I am so, so, so sorry that we missed Grandparent's Day. And the FIRST Grandparent's Day no less.

What a horrible oversight and I am mortified that it came and went without any acknowledgement from us. Sure, I know you'll say "no big deal." But, for the record, had my FIRST Mother's Day gone without some recognition, I might have been pretty disappointed. So I am sorry. It's not like I didn't know this was an issue. I'm aware that we've already missed several birthdays and a couple of anniversaries by having that calendar hidden away in a box or drawer somewhere. If I missed something else, don't tell me...I feel bad enough as it is.

You know the very worst part of all? I was actually prepared in advance! I've had Grandparent's Day cards for more than a year now. I bought the cards last year in anticipation of a possible early arrival from Baby Stone...I wanted to have those Grandparent's Day cards ready to go in the mail in case little Owen decided to make his arrival in time for the holiday (9-12-04...he didn't quite make it). You see, back when my life was in a bit more order, I filed these cards away in a logical, organized fashion.


When I discovered the box this week, I was crestfallen. Neatly tucked away inside were the messages of love and appreciation intended for you. Don't look too closely...don't commit these images to memory...you'll be seeing them next September.

In the meantime, please know that we appreciate all that you do for our family...all the time, love and energy that is invested in showering your grandson with attention does not go unnoticed. Owen is lucky to have the best set of grandparents in the whole, wide world. So, while you didn't receive that Hallmark greeting in the mail or get the cheerful call on the phone, we DO love you and DO know that our family wouldn't be complete without you. Thank you for everything.

Gram and Pop, Grandpa Harrell, Granny M and Grandpa Moore, Nana, Mama Dot and Papa Walt, Bob-O, Grandma and Grandpa Stone--you are all very, very loved. This one is for you...we hope that every day is a Happy Grandparent's Day.

PS: The faint blue markings are the result of Owen's first experience with a crayon (hate to disappoint you, but I did the writing). Our first time coloring was almost uneventful...except for that whole crayon in the nose thing.

1 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a wonderful Grandparents wish! The blue lines are the best I have ever seen! Glad it was a whole crayon and not just a small piece!! :) Love, Gram

 

Post a Comment

<< Home