Friday, July 01, 2005

The last straw!

Well, the last straw full of diet coke, that is.

So, Owen has always had a fascination with straws. Ever since he first began showing an interest in our food several months ago, he likes to chew on straws. Never really knew what he was doing with them, just liked to hold them and gnaw on them. Well, last night I got a "to-go" cup from dinner and was holding it in the backseat next to Owen. He reached out for the cup and I put it over to him so he could chomp on the straw. Next thing I know, brown liquid is moving straight up the straw and he's got a mouth full of diet coke! Poor thing, he had no idea what hit him! In fact, I think it probably tingled his mouth some and he just sat there, slackjawed, letting all the coke dribble down his chin. I was floored. My baby boy had learned to use a straw!

As soon as we got home, I filled a glass with water and provided a clean straw for him. Perhaps it was just a fluke so let's try again. Sure enough, he sucked it right up. All day today he's been drinking from a straw. Yet another cool party trick added to the Owen Stone repertoire. He is also:

* Blowing kisses. Well, he doesn't quite "blow" them with his hand but rather responds with a pronouced lipsmack when you ask for a kiss and show him how.

* Responding to the words "splash, splash, splash" with immediate double-handed splashing in the nearest water source.

* Shaking his head "no"...although we're sure he has no idea what it means since he very rarely hears that word. He sometimes shakes his head so vigorously that he follows up with a giggle.

Add to all of this his waving at everyone he meets and you have one cute kid. As if I had to tell you this!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home